Egg cartons are one of the cheapest and most versatile bases for so many recycle crafts – never throw them away before repurposing them! Last week, we made owls from toilet paper rolls. Today, we turned a discarded egg carton into our own “Very Hungry Caterpillar”, from Eric Carle‘s classic book. We are big fans of the book in this house and, while we love all the themed merchandise we seem to have accumulated, nothing beats the sense of accomplishment after creating your own DIY version of one of your favourite characters.
What we used:
- Egg carton
- Red, yellow, green and brown acrylic paint
- Pipe cleaners (black for feet, purple for antennae)
- Paint brush
- Cut your egg carton in half length ways, so you have a long row of egg cups.
- Paint one egg cup red (the head) and the rest green (the body).
- Paint yellow eyes with black or brown centres and a little nose. Alternatively, you could stick on a pair of googly eyes.
- Cut five pieces of pipe cleaner and poke them through each green egg cup – these are the caterpillar’s legs.
- Poke two small holes in the caterpillar’s head and thread a length of purple pipe cleaner so that the two ends poke through like antennae.
I guess our next activity may have to involve turning this guy into a beautiful butterfly!